Thursday, June 11, 2009

Letting go

I have recently had to deal with something that is relatively new territory to me - letting go of a person in my life who was a friend for about 5 years. You may ask, "why after so long would you cut a friend out of your life?" The answer isn't easy, but has to be said. This person, this friend, continually over the 5 years of our friendship made me feel less than. Less than her, less than most everything. She is a very opinionated woman, a strong woman I guess some would say. I always felt as though my feelings and thoughts had to be dampened or censored. The older I get the more I realize that relationships should never make you feel less than anything or anyone. I have broken free, but not without question. As a woman who has really been growing in faith the last couple years I struggled with the idea of it being Christian to leave anyone behind. I wondered if God put this woman in my life to touch her in some way that was beyond my understanding at this time. No matter what, I will always have love for her in my heart and appreciate everything she was to me over the years; good and bad. I harbor no ill will, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was time to move on...

After much thought, consideration, and worry I came to understand that I needed to shift my focus and love to those around me who love me as I am and encourage me no matter what. These are "balcony people". There is a great book that touched me deeply on this subject. It is appropriately titled "Balcony People" by Joyce Landorf Heatherly. Anyone who wants to be a better encourager to those around them should pick it up. I know that I am not perfect. I know that I am not an easy person to always understand. I do know, though, that there are people who love me and even though they may not always understand me they love me through it. Thank you to those people in my life (you know who you are!) and I only hope I am the same to you.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Letting any friend go is always a difficult (and guilt-inducing) situation. But I'm glad you are putting yourself first for a change.

    ReplyDelete