Friday, July 10, 2009

bear with me for a moment

Revolutionary Road. Saw the previews. Thought I knew what it was about. I had no idea. I knew I would relate to it, but to the degree - I was completely unaware. For those of you that saw it I will leave the parts I relate to up to your imaginations. Be nice now...

Marriage is hard. When one looks back on the way most relationships begin it is this fairy tale thing. Games of "20 Questions" followed by heated acts of sex make it all so dreamy and fun. For many of us at some point those games cease to exist. Why? Why do we stop? Why do we let life cloud what made us so deeply want and eventually love this other person in the first place? I never thought marriage would always be perfect, but I never knew how much work two people have to put into it! My parents fought and drove each other crazy; they still do. At the end of the day though it is their mutual respect for one another and genuine friendship that kept and keeps them together. I never want to stay married out of obligation. I never want to hate the person I am married to. A few years ago my marriage was dangerously close to ending. So close that it makes me sick now to even conceive of it. I forgot what was really important - and so did he. That is what I saw tonight. A reminder of what I don't want to become and thoughts of what I need to do to make sure that doesn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment