Friday, July 24, 2009

Three's Company

So here I am. Blogging from Southern California! I cannot believe that the time has finally come and that my adventure of a lifetime is here! Leaving my babies yesterday was hard, but I have chosen to keep focused on the fact that at least 5 times a day I long to go somewhere and have "me time" and now I am! So, my flights were fine, but my short 1 hour stretch from Detroit to Chicago was most memorable. I walked to my seat and there in the middle seat was a very large, hairy gentleman. I ALWAYS sit by the window. I explained that I needed to get to the window and he asked if I would mind if he just shifted over as opposed to getting out and holding everyone else up. Being polite I said no, and took the middle seat. Which I despise. But then this man, whose name was Charles and who was from North Carolina, continued speaking and I couldn't help but love him! Then along came Jeanine from Dearborn who took the aisle seat and the chatting commenced. We talked about our respective trips and when Jeanine asked if my trip was for business or pleasure I said, "BOTH!" I went on to explain my role in Expressing Motherhood and what I would be dong in California. Then, out of nowhere, Jeanine says, "Do it now! Tell us what you are going to say." I say, "No, but I will give you an outline..." She then says, "C'mon, we want to hear it. It will be good practice!" So with many reservations I started reciting my piece. All along the taxiing process and the take off there I was spouting off my story on postpartum depression to two complete strangers. When I finished they applauded; quietly of course as not to disturb the other passengers. I remembered my whole monologue and it WAS great practice. They laughed in all the right parts and told me how many women they thought would relate to what I went through. I felt like I was in a scene out of some random Steve Martin movie. It was, perhaps, the most amazing way to begin my getaway.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect reason to never judge a book by it's cover, so to speak!! What a great way to start your journey to Cali!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! Those people were placed there for a reason.... ;) Gotta love those angels in disguise.

    ReplyDelete